Yoga is a series of mental and physical exercises that aim to keep your body healthy. The mental techniques involved in yoga gives discipline to your mind.
Yoga For Belly Fat
This helps to transcend the self and attain enlightenment. The active and intense styles of yoga help you burn more calories. Studies found that restorative yoga was effective in helping overweight people to lose weight, including belly fat also.
Here are some of the yoga poses that help you to reduce fat accumulated in your mid-section.
Tadasana( Mountain Pose)
If you want to lose your tummy fat, then Tadasana is the warm-up that helps you to get ready for your yoga routine.
This yoga pose will also help in shedding extra fat from different parts of your body, especially from the belly. Let’s see how to do Tadasana pose.
- Stand on the ground with feet joined together. Slightly bend your knees and then straighten them to help loosen your joints.
2. Focus your concentration on a particular spit in front of you while doing this.
3. Firm your thigh muscles and turn them inwards and lift your knee cap.
4. Straighten your tailbone and imagine a line of energy is passing through your body.
5. Lift your chest up and out
6. Push your shoulder blades back
7. Make widen your collar bones
8. Raise your head and breathe deeply
9. Raise your toes gently while inhaling
10. Try to balance your body on your heels
11. Hold this pose for 5 to 10 seconds
12. Now gently exhale
13. Repeat this for 2 or 3 times
Benefits of doing Tadasana
- Reduce belly fat
- Helps in correcting your posture
- Improves your balance
- Increases the flexibility of your ankles, thighs, and joints
- Helps to gain control over your muscular movements
- Strengthens your nervous system
- Regulates your respiratory and digestive functions
Surya Namaskar ( Sun Salutation)
surya namaskar is an ancient technique used to express gratitude towards the sun. traditional people believed that the different parts of our body are controlled and governed by different divine lights.
The solar plexus located behind the navel is the central point of our body and is believed to be governed by the sun. Apart from reducing belly fat, ancient people believed that practicing surya namaskar regularly increases our creativity and abilities.
There are 12 poses in surya namaskar and each of one will be explained belo.
- Prayer pose
Lay a mat on the floor and stand at the edge of it. Keep your feet together, expand your chest and relax your shoulders. Loft your both arms up as you inhale and bring palms together in front of your chest as you exhale.
2. Raised arm pose
Lift your arms up and back while inhaling. Also keep the biceps close to the ears. While doing this pose, you have to stretch the whole body up from the heels to the tips of the fingers.
3. Hand to Foot pose
Inhale in while bending your waist forward and keeping the spine erect. Exhale out while bringing the hands down to the floor.
4. Stick pose
Inhale in while taking the left leg back and bring the whole body in a straight line. Keep your arms perpendicular to the floor.
5. Equestrian pose
Push your right leg back while inhaling and bring the right knee to the floor and look up.
6. Saluting with eight points or parts
Bring your knees down to the floor and exhale. Take your hips back, slide forward, rest your chest and chin on the floor. The eight parts, that is, two hands, two feet, two knees, chest and chin should touch the floor.
7. Cobra pose
Slide forward and raise the chest up. Keep your elbows bent, shoulders away from the ears. Make a gentle effort to push the chest forward as you inhale. And make a gentle effort to push the navel down as you inhale. Remember to stretch as much as you can do.
8. Mountain pose
Lift your hips and tailbone up while inhaling. Also keep the chest downwards in an inverted ‘V’ pose. Keep the heels on the ground.
9. Equestrian pose
Bring the right foot forward in between two arms and inhale in. stretch left knee down to the floor, press the hip down, and look up.
10. Hand to foot pose
Bring the left foot forward and exhale out. Keep the palms on the floor, bend the knees. Keep breathing.
11. Raised arms pose
Roll the spine up while inhaling. Stretch arms up, bend backwards, push the hips slightly outward.
12. As you exhale, straighten the body and bring the arms down. Relax in this position.
Benefits of surya namaskar
- Improves blood circulation
- Reduce excess weight around your stomach
- Suppress the irregularity in menstrual cycle
- Bring back the glow on your face
- Prevents hair loss and the ageing of hair
- Stabilizes the activity of the endocrine and thyroid glands
- Reduces anxiety
Padahastasana( standing forward bend)
Padahastasana or standing forward bend is an important pose in yoga. Because it has a lot of benefits and people with severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury, and knee injury are not recommended to do this asana.
People with high or low blood pressure and with severe headache also avoid this pose.
Now lets see how to do Padahastasana, also known as the hand under foot pose.
- Firstly, stand straight on a yoga mat
2. Place your hands and legs alongside of your body
3. Take a deep breath and raise your both hands towards the roof over the head
4. The biceps should touch your ears
5. Stretch your hands as much as possible
6. Bring your palm face in upward position
7. Slowly breathe out and lower your body by bending your upper body from the hi[s
8. Your legs should be straight and knees should not bend
9. Bend as much as you can
10. Try to place both your palms under your foot
11. Take a normal breathe
12. Remain in this position for a few seconds
13. Slowly get back to the starting position and relax
14. Repeat this for 10 times
Benefits of Padahastasana
- Improves digestive health
- Reduce belly fat
- Strengthen hips and calves
- Strengthen, back, neck, and shoulder
- Improves the functions of livers and kidneys
- Improves blood circulation
- Relieves stress
Yoga is a great way to tone your entire body and lose weight too. If you are looking to focus on your waist and belly, then these 3 yoga poses are the perfect ways to trim down the excess fat.
In addition, eat a healthy diet with plenty of protein, fiber and portion control.