The Ayish Bayou, a stream that inspired San Augustine’s name before 1834, crosses the El Camino Real de los Tejas just west of the Courthouse Square.
Close by is the Civic and Tourism Center, also called the Log Cabin. This highly visible building also houses the San Augustine County Chamber of Commerce. An impressive walking bridge connects the facility with nearby Sante Fe Park and Nature Trail.
Texas’ first Governor, James Pickney Henderson, faces El Camino Real in front of the San Augustine County Courthouse.
Residents enjoy the former governor’s presence, still presiding over current affairs in San Augustine.
San Augustine ladies made this flag and presented it to the New Orleans Grays as they traveled down Camino Real to join the struggle for Texas Independence.
It was flown over the Alamo March 6, 1836.
Milton Garrett’s restored pioneer home, circa 1827, faces the historic trail a few miles west of San Augustine.
Ten miles east of San Augustine is the oldest Protestant and Methodist site in Texas, founded in 1833.
more historical sites